Monday, September 19, 2005

Grouse Grind


I was surprised by the number of tourists on the Grouse Grind yesterday. It seemed like every time I stopped for a sip of water someone with a German accent stopped and told me that I shouldn't be taking any breaks. If I went to a foreign country, I'm not sure if that would be the highest thing on my to do list. Then again, I've already done that, haven't I?

I gave some water to an East Indian man who was stupid enough to not bring his own. He passed us part way up and when we next saw him, he was taking a smoke break. I don't see how that could have possibly helped him climb the mountain, but I wasn't really there to judge.

Grouse Mountain has really changed since the last time I was there, nearly ten years ago, but the problem is that I can't exactly remember how. That seems to be a reoccuring theme in my life lately.