Monday, December 05, 2005

Hurra Torpedo


8:30 tutorial started with the standard five minutes of dumb silence. "So, what did you think about the readings?" Andy asked at last, just as Joanne walked in and sat down beside me, "Do you think that praxis will change the way corporate media will operate?"

Upon sitting down, Joanne immediately turned to me. "What are we talking about?" she asked.

"Praxis," I answered, "and corporate media." She smiled and hunched over the table, wrapping her fingers around her coffee mug, immediately launching into a criticism of camera phones that have mp3 players in them and bugs in new technology that she felt should be fixed. A girl across the room began to giggle.

"What does this have to do with praxis?" Andy asked.

"Well nothing, but new technology has problems that we have to sort out," she replied.

A guy was asleep in the corner. We woke him up to see if that would help stimulate some sort of meaningful discussion, only to find that he was completely stoned. The girl across the room began to giggle again.

"What do you think about the value of blogs and alternative media sources on the internet," Andy asked me, "will they change anything?"

"I don't know," I replied. Then he just had to remind me that that was what I had written my term paper on. The girl across the room giggled. I don't think she said a single word for the whole hour. I really could have used whatever she was on.

Some days are just like that. I'm glad that it's the last day of school.

I have just discovered that there will be a documentary on the strangely endearing Norwegian cult band Hurra Torpedo, and that clips of it can be found on Pip Simon's site. At the moment, I am thoroughly amused.

If you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about, I suggest you watch either this video (Windows media) or this one (Quicktime).

I have a takehome exam to pick up right now. Wish me luck!