Monday, October 30, 2006

Slip

sunrise on the way to Sointula, BCSoooo, that magazine thingie that I keep periodically complaining about? Done. That sort of euphoric feeling of weight lifting off your shoulders when you finish a big project? Um, well, delayed.

For the past month or so, the whole thing's been nothing but headaches for me. Most recently, it's been problems with the printers. I laid out the pages in a really standard size and then pdf'd them to give to the printers. Pdfs, I thought, are good because a) everybody and their dog uses them and b) you can't edit the layout once it's done and c) that's the way we've always done it.

So imagine my surprise when someone phoned me explaining that they had changed the pdfs into jpegs which had resulted in images that are of considerably less quality and asked me to come in and look at some proofs.

A day later I was in their shop, agreeing that the switch to jpeg had definitely hurt the quality. I went home and switched the original files into jpegs and didn't have much luck, so finally I ended up uploading the originals onto the net for download and hoping to Qath that things turned out alright.

So, today, when it was supposed to be printed and done, I arrived to find just one done, and the formatting changed for some of the pages. Nothing major, but big enough to irritate me.

But luckily I had the one, because the damn thing is so overdue.

So at our meeting, I said something unintelligable like "It'sdoneit'sdoneit'sdone!" and nearly dumped my computer on the floor while I tried to grab it out of my bag. And as I pulled it out, people saw the cover and gasped, saying something to the effect of "that's awesome!" and we passed it around for everyone to look through. And in spite of the printing problems, it looks pretty snazzy. A couple people mentioned after the meeting was over that it is our best looking issue ever.

I have a habit of saying things are beautiful in conversation. When I got home I was talking to myself about something or other and I accidentally said "I'm" when I meant to say "It's beautiful."

Freudian slip.