Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Family dinner

My family was coming over for dinner today so I spent a lot of time cleaning, so as not to look like a complete slob. It was a cold and rainy day, so I made soup, everything from scratch, which is a lot more extravigant than everything else I've been eating recently. I haven't cooked anything in ages. I love cooking, but when there's nobody else home, there's no point.

When they arrived, I wasn't quite finished making dinner. When my sister found out what we were eating, she said something nasty under her breath and then proceeded to make something else to eat. While she was doing that, she was also getting between me and what I was trying to cook, which irritates the hell out of me. Dad decided to help me, but like my sister, he spent more time just getting in the way.

I finally got dinner on the table and then we had to sit and wait half an hour for Doo to finish whatever she was doing. In the meantime, dinner got cold, and my mother started asking me questions about things that I would rather not have talked about at the time.

After we finished eating, Doo disappeared somewhere or other and only reappeared when both parents ordered her to do the dishes. She complained a lot about it. After refusing to eat anything and being bitchy for the duration of dinner, the least she could have done was to be somewhat pleasant while doing the dishes. She couldn't even do that.

My parents were angry because she was being so bitchy and rude. I couldn't have cared less. All I wanted was for them to leave. I had been having a decent day before they had showed up, and there was still the chance that I could salvage some of it after they left. No such luck. Today they overstayed their welcome, but what am I supposed to do, kick them out?

I'm beginning to like this living by myself thing. That is, everything except the food.