Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Blank slate


"I have walked these stairs."

It started about a year and a half ago, when someone scrawled this on the wall in ballpoint pen. This simple statement stayed there for a few weeks, until finally there was an answer.

"So have I."

and then, in other hands and colours:

"Obviously."
"Good for you."
"I did too."
"Wow, you're special."
"Congratulations!"

Over the next couple of months the comments began to grow in a cluster around this central statement.

"Elevators are for suckers."
"I did it with crutches, bitches."
"I don't need a stairmaster."
"Next stop Mt. Everest!"
"I don't get it. Are you disabled or something?"

Every time I went up that stairwell, I would stop for a moment to see if something new had been added to the collective. It was interesting to see what people had decided to add and I found it mildly entertaining in an odd sort of way. Simple things amuse simple minds, I guess.

I climbed the centre stairwell up to the sixth floor of the library this morning to find that the whole wall had been painted over. I find it hard to believe that the university can be concerned about some unoffensive graffiti on the walls than the chronically disgusting state of the washrooms. Clearly image here is only skin deep.

Speaking of writing on walls, I stumbled across this today:

the Bubble Project