Friday, June 02, 2006

Annen communique

IMG_3111_1

I find it kind of funny that when they wrote in the email that there would be an emergency shutdown of the network for security reasons, they typed an i instead of a u.

My mom is off to a conference today, so she rode the skytrain to my stop. I showed her around my neighbourhood a bit before work started.

I think it's a little amusing how the Translink people spent all their time and money to create those safety squares on the train platforms. You're supposed to stand inside them so that if you're the victim of some sort of crime, it will be caught by at least four cameras, the only ones at the station.

Naturally, the platform can be full of people, but no one will stand in the safety square.

We decided to stand inside one just for the hell of it and waved to each one of the security cameras in turn. Then, as the skytrain arrived, we realized that the yellow square was nowhere near where a door opened on the train.

Great, so you spend all that time being nice and safe in the yellow square, only to be mugged as you step onto the train. I wonder who figured that out.

I'm off to forage for lunch.

Back now.

In the morning I was faced with the familiar problem: the Starbucks in front of me, the Starbucks kiddie corner to me or the Starbucks a block away. It is never an easy decision.

Sometimes I'll go to Blenz instead and support Canadian businesses, but I have more than a couple Starbucks cards and they're dying to be used.

There is a light on my phone that keeps beeping and I'm not sure how to turn it off. I don't really want to ask anyone about it because I don't want to admit that I have no idea how to use my phone, other than the
easy stuff like dialling numbers.

In my room in our old house I used to have a rotary phone and it was the coolest thing ever. I wish they'd make touch-tone rotary phones, then I'd switch back.