Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Band

MarieAnd just about the time when I think I have absolutely nothing to say, I hear a band setting up outside. Thinking that I might possibly know the culprits, I go to investigate, only to have my worst fears confirmed.

Well, not worst by any means. It was a band made up of members of my old high school jazz band, including my favourite band teacher, Gord Hembruff and his black saxophone.

The cool thing about the music program at Moody Secondary is that pretty much anyone can walk in off the street and join, if they are willing to practice and show up regularly, and students benefit from the experience of older, better players from the community. It's been a launch pad for a lot of local talent over the years.

They played for about an hour and amassed quite the crowd, considering the whole event was pretty impromptu. Maybe they'll be back next week, maybe not. If they are, I'll be sure to take better pictures.

Keep an eye on the girl you see to the right. Her name is Marie Kim and as well as having loads of talent, she is one of the most cheerful and pleasant people you will meet. The only thing she really has to work on is having a good supply of jokes to tell while the band is having one of those moments where they are a lot less organized than she is. Other than that, she's awesome.

I miss band. I think maybe tomorrow I'll walk down to Long and McQuade to get some reeds and cork grease, the kind that I sometimes mistake for chapstick. I'm sure my sax needs it.