Monday, March 26, 2007

Spanish claps

IMG_5042_1Oh, hi blog. Nice to see you.

I bussed my last paper downtown today, and straight into the hands of my ta. He's still talking about my uncle as if they're old friends. I haven't the heart to ask him if he's heard the story about how I "ate" granddad yet.

Knowing my uncle, he probably has. Symbolic cannibalism has everything to do with political science, you know.

Afterwards, I thought I'd reward myself and at the same time avoid a particular person by heading on down to Deluxe Junk and getting myself a new sweater, and then another, but not another because that other one didn't fit. It was actually kind of nice because I haven't bought myself any new clothes since last October or so, and chances are I won't be for a while again.

Oh, I saw Eric Clapton on Friday. I got the tickets for Christmas as a I'm sorry I got distracted when I was about to buy Rolling Stones tickets for both Vancouver and Regina and they both sold out and I could only get two tickets to see them in Seattle and I'm really regretting saying that I won't buy tickets to see the Who at GM Place because I think the acoustics will suck present.

The acoustics at GM Place actually aren't all that bad for an arena kind of setting. It's the Pacific Colosseum that is bad. Tons of echoes.

Clapton plays a pretty decent concert, if I might say so myself. None of this talking stuff and the full unabridged version of Cocaine. Actually, the full unabridged versions of a lot of songs. He played for two hours, but he didn't actually play very many songs, because each song had big long solos for practically everyone. I didn't catch the names of the people in his band but they're all quite talented musicians as well. It would have been nice if they had turned up his mic a little bit though.

There was much debate as to who the grey haired man kneeling behind the drum kit was, what he was doing and whether he looked more like Einstein or Bill Bennett. Which Bill Bennett, I'm not sure. There seems to be a lot of them kicking around. One that has grey puffy hair.

Finally I decided that the guy was switching up the drum kit right from under the drummer, because they didn't take any real breaks from playing, but the drums were tuned differently for a couple of the songs.

There was a guy behind us who kept screaming ERIC as if Eric could hear him and he was so fricken loud. He reminded me somewhat of Alex trying to wake me up at 5:30 am by shouting under my bedroom window. He also had some of the loudest, most enthusiastic clapping until someone asked him to tone it down a little.

Spanish claps, please. Or clap like the queen.

He was a nice guy though. Just really excited. Kind of close to my age too, which was incredibly young compared to a lot of the rest of the crowd. The blue rinse set was definitely out in force on Friday night. Not that there's anything wrong with that. They need concerts too.