Friday, November 03, 2006

Decor

IMG_4661_1Right now I'm really liking the illustration of Silja Goetz. Kinda collagey and vectorey and random.

Winter break project for me: I'm going to cover my fridge with moognets. I've been thinking of decorating somehow anyways. The walls in here are that sort of creamy off-white that screams out "rental property!" at the top of its lungs.

What it really needs is a new coat of paint, something really bold, like a maroon or a rich red or golden orange or something. My room at my parent's house is a rich green that I like, especially coupled with navy blue and stained wood, like it is.

The problem with these things is that I tend to get bored or lose interest fairly quickly. My tastes change, as does my sense of style, though I think that might be levelling off, finally.

I both love and hate makeover/renovation shows. The idea that you can just radically change your surroundings has always appealed to me, because I've felt pretty pidgeonholed all my life. And yet, in some of these shows I wonder whether the end product is more designed to fit peoples' personalities or the individual vision of the designer. Certainly it's usually better than what was there before.

The thing that bothers me is knicknacks, art and mementos, though. Some designers insist upon going out and purchasing these things, and filling up brand new bookshelves and cabinets with them. I look at these things and think they're nice, but I wonder what the point is. Any sort of art in your home that you didn't pick out yourself and don't have any sort of aesthetic or sentimental connection to is a lot like those bland pieces of crap that they hang on the walls of hotel rooms. It's just there.

And yet, I still watch them. I don't much understand it.