Monday, November 13, 2006

A post in which I talk about knitting

IMG_4707_1A while ago I noticed that the Lewiscraft at Lougheed Mall was having a closing out sale and all their yarn was 70% off. I absolutely loved this blue yarn so I bought all the store had. I used it to make a ribbed touque and then, since I wanted to learn how to knit cables, I made a really big cabley scarf so I could wear them both this fall.

I just realized that I forgot to put any sort of picture or mention of them on here. That's probably because I don't feel like having this be just another one of the seemingly millions of knitting blogs out there. I also never figured that anyone other than the standard knitting crowd would want to read something like that.

It has just occurred to me that the top of that touque looks kind of like a pom pom and it is NOT! I knit it in a round circle with four double pointed needles like a big sock, only I decreased it to four stitches at the top (not like a sock) and made that into a tail, which I tied into a big knot to finish it partially because I was being lazy and partially because I made up the pattern to sort of be like a hat that I saw someone wear in class one day.

But anyways, it seems I've found the way to someone's heart even though I haven't actually done anything.

Speaking of knitting, I've been woking on a sweater for a while now, and I probably wouldn't have mentioned it at all, other than the fact that I saw someone on the bus this week wearing something very similar to it and I really liked it, which is a good sign. A lot of times I start working on a project like a sweater and by the time I get to the point where I have to start sewing all the pieces together, I'm tired of it or the colour is wrong or I've finally decided that I will never ever wear it.

But this one is cool, because the pattern came out of a magazine from 1979. I'm really starting to get into this retro thing. Actually, I was always into the retro thing in mind, if not in practice. I have a secret love of plaid shirts that I tend not to act upon.

I've been on the lookout for a decent tweed blazer for a while now and I haven't found anything to my liking. Nothing too exciting. It just has to be tweed and kind of fitted in some sort of size that will fit me. Elbow patches are fine.

Anyways, the sweater blazer has a pattern that looks like this only more blue:

scan0008_1

And before anyone accuses me of being domestic, I'm pretty good with torches and nail guns too. The saddest thing about having my parents move is that they had to pack up the workshop so I haven't been able to cut any stones or do any silversmithing for almost two years, which is a pity. We bought a brand new oxy-acetelene torch a while ago and I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. It sounds fun.