Saturday, November 11, 2006

eBooks

IMG_4660_1I had a dream last night that the fish tank really badly needed to be cleaned, but the fish had suddenly multiplied and there was more fish in the tank than water. If I used the siphon thingie to clean out the tank, I would surely suck up more than a couple of the miniscule fish babies and so I decided that I would strain them out and put them in a different tank.

I don't have fish anymore, so I'm not entirely sure why I dreamt that. I also know from experience that every time my fish had offspring, they ate them. Damn cannibals. As if we didn't feed them enough.

Today my photoshoppery turned out all bitmappey, my knitting turned out all basketweavey and my muffins turned out edible.

My paper writing turned out incomplete, not that I was meaning to really finish anything today.

I'm reading Encountering Development: The Making and Unmaking of the Third World, by Arturo Escobar for school. When I went to the library all copies of it were already out, but luckily they have it online as an ebook too. All I have to do is log in through my school account and then I can read.

Sounds cool, eh? Sure, except for the fact that it has told me that it is in the process of loading page 7 for about three hours now. No problem. You just restart and refresh the thing, which puts you right back at the cover page, from which you can flip through the pages one-by-one until you get back to where it froze.

You can't copy and paste if you want to quote from the thing. You can only print out pages and then type them up, but there's a limit as to how many pages you are allowed to print because of copyright law. I guess you could just have more than one window open and type from there, but there's no guarantee that the text size will be big enough at that point for you to be able to read it.

It brings me unlimited joy.