Sunday, November 19, 2006

Diefenbunker

I came across a blog not too long ago where someone was complaining about how they thought that Will Ferrell wasn't at all suited for Stranger Than Fiction, which is stupid. Just because he spent 10 years on Saturday Night Live doesn't mean that he should always be stuck into only comedy roles, especially when he's clearly capable of doing other things.

Like doing a very convincing job playing a kind of boring yet intelligent man who discovers with certainty that he is going to die and then begins to live. As far as I'm concerned, the plot about the writer was the part that really made the story though. I can't think of a single movie where I haven't liked Emma Thompson, and it was the inclusion of her character that made it avoid blatant cliche.

I suppose I could mention how the first 20-25 minutes of the film had a couple of shots that I quite liked, but I won't. I have a habit of disecting the set design, the lighting, depth of focus and the angles, but I'm the only person in the world who is interested in these things.

So, the final verdict is that I liked it and it was worth watching, unlike the last two films I saw in theatres.

But, more importantly, we went for pizza afterwards and that's where I read in the newspaper about Diefenbunker. Diefenbunker? Let me explain:

Canada-diefenbaker

This is John Diefenbaker, 13th prime minister of Canada.

Not to be confused with this Diefenbaker:

dief1

who was one of the stars of the tv series Due South.

In the height of the Cold War, Diefenbaker built Diefenbunker, which was where the government was going to take shelter when they dropped the bomb. Not sure how they would go about ruling the people outside of the bunker but meh.

At any rate, the Diefenbunker is located four stories underground the town of Carp, Ontario and can apparently be booked for private functions. And, I must say, that the only way that anyone could ever convince me to go through the incredible expense, excruciating boredom and shameful conspicuous consumption associated with a regular wedding (not to mention the time wasted on the frivolous details of planning such an affair) is if we did it in someplace weird like that. Otherwise it's a shotgun civil service.

No amount of wasted money can be substituted for the actual living with and loving someone for the rest of your life part. That and I've never been one for ceremony.