Friday, December 16, 2005

Family history


Enough cats.

Alec liked to jog. He liked to jog to the post office.

Evelyn, my mother's aunt-in-law has taken it upon herself to write a biography of my great-grandparents for a publication about the history of the town where my grandmother grew up. I believe that this publication has something to do with the local museum, as in something kind of related to academic things.

See Alec jog. Jog Alec jog.

It reads like Dick and Jane. Evelyn, you see, is an elementary school teacher. Has been for years. My mother also contends that she is crazy. While I'm not sure about the insanity, she does have perfect handwriting, which does not bode well for her.

Alec had six cows. It was hard to get the cows in the corral but somehow Alec did it.

In Grandma's own words, "Yeah, he used to beat the crap out of those things with a whip. That's how he got them in there."

My mother was somewhat perturbed that when Evelyn named my grandmother, she used Grandpa Bill's last name, and that she should have used my grandfather Harold's last name, because he was the only person she had ever been married to. "But I can't do that, can I?" she said, "because that would have meant that heaven forbid she had lived in sin!"

"Your mother is sin," my dad replied.

"With a capital S," mom added.

Apparently I have to go Christmas shopping with Grandma on Tuesday. I'm not really looking forward to that.