Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Shopping


Christmas always reminds me that I would love my mother more if she was easier to buy for. Every year it is the same. We all poke and prod at her to get us to tell us something, but she never really says much.

This year she would have us believe that all she wants is a new pair of slippers. The problem is that it is tacitly understood that mom is supposed to get the most presents. After all, it is also understood that we would surely descend into chaos without her.

The plan this year then, is to buy her tons of little things and then squirrel them away, so that when she wakes up there are gifts everywhere: the kitchen table, cupboards, the bathroom, her underwear drawer, etc. I'm not sure what else to do.

Du and I have been helping dad for a while with an anti drinking and driving campaign. The local liquour stores donated some of their bags to schools for kids to decorate with some sort of "happy holidays drink responsibly" message and then our job was to sort through them and pull out all the ones that were overly negative or wrong in some way or other. Some of the good ones were quite amazing, and some of the bad ones are downright hilarious. I think the one pictured today is very good, except that it kind of misses the point. Some of them kind of remind me of postsecret.