Sunday, December 25, 2005

Grandma


My grandmother never ceases to amaze me. There is no medical way possible that she should be as alert, happy and seemingly healthy as she is at her weight and age, with the amount of drugs she's on. Though she was kind of fuzzy on some things, like what her age was. I don't suppose it actually matters much.

We took her some books and a care package with some nice soaps so she doesn't have to use whatever they have at the hospital. She had some presents for us too: some soup mix, some clip-on old lady earrings for my sister, and two chocolate bars in a box for me. She thinks about us, and that's really all that counts.

We took Waking Ned Devine to watch with her and as always, it was hilarious. I'm not completely sure if she really understood what was happening in the movie, but it was a good way to make visits to see grandma a little more entertaining than usual.

Even still, as I was watching, I couldn't help not enjoying myself. Not only did I have a bad headache, I also couldn't stop thinking about Annie, the lady that lives across the room from my grandmother. She's always been in that room and she's always been an absolute scream. Last night though, she was so frail that she was having trouble holding her phone to her ear. Somehow I don't think she'll be there the next time we visit.

All the way home, we played upbeat music much too loud.