Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The almighty rhubarb

IMG_5483_1Have I shown you the rhubarb yet?

I take that as a no. This is our rhubarb, then. We have three large patches of it, and one smaller patch. To give a bit of perspective, the flowery things at the top are taller than I am, but keep in mind, that's not really all that hard. It is a million times bigger and better than the crappy rhubarb you buy in the store.

In fact, this rhubarb won 3rd place at the Maple Ridge Fair. It would have won a better prize except that there was a typo in their promotional materials, so our entry ended up being cut and submitted early and was kind of wilted by the time the judges got to it. Next year we're totally taking first place.

The only problem is that I really don't like rhubarb much. It's really sour and you have to throw so much sugar in with it to make it edible. I hate adding sugar to things, and yet I have yet to find a recipe that involves not adding sugar to rhubarb, or pork, which also seems to be popular.

Not only that, I find that after eating rhubarb, I get this feeling inside my mouth as if all my teeth have been covered in a kind of fuzz. I get the same feeling from eating raw spinach, and the only way to get rid of it is to brush my teeth really well.

We met a man once that said that we could turn all our rhubarb into wine, but I'm both intrigued and disturbed by what that might possibly taste like, but who knows. Maybe alcoholic rhubarb is really good.

That being said, does anyone know of any good rhubarb recipes? Or, alternately, does anyone in the GVRD want some rhubarb?

Otherwise it's more rhubarb pancakes every Sunday.