Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fishes

IMG_5420_1I just finished When Eve Was Naked by Josef Svorecky today and the passage that got me most was one where he was rowing out on a lake and found what seemed to be a disgusting monster: a two-tailed fish, floating up at the surface of the water.

It seemed to be dead until he poked it and it began to swim. It was then that he realized that it wasn't one but two fishes of the same species. A larger one had attempted to swallow a smaller one, but had choked to death in the process and now the smaller fish was trapped partially inside and would undoubtedly die because of it.

Makes me think of how incredibly stupid people can be.

To commemorate the fact that I finished the book and also the fact that I was hungry, I made some pesto couscous, steamed asparagus and a nice piece of tuna that I seared on the outside and left nice and cold and rare on the inside, which as far as I'm concerned, is the only way to eat tuna.

I have to refrain from saying these things around my colleagues because it gets me a lot of weird looks. Just because we're starving students doesn't mean we have to eat crap. The way I see it is that I don't really spend money on anything other than rent so I may as well eat well. But maybe I'm just weird. Mom blames Chernobyl for that.