Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The balcony incident

IMG_6493_1Almost... there... carpal tunnel... setting in...

But enough knitterly stuff. Yesterday I thought I'd put my Christmas lights up because this is the season for it and also my dad has been bugging me about it.

I went out onto the balcony to put them up and while I was out there I decided to clean up some of the dead plants. Once I was finished I tried the door handle only to find that it was locked.

The door has a lock and if it gets bumped sometimes it locks itself, so I figured that was what had happened. Not that it mattered much. I was still locked out and it was cold.

I sat out there and waited for someone to walk by that I could get to call my parents to rescue me. A lady walked by, but she was talking on her phone and I didn't want to disturb her so she got away without helping me. In that time I decided against calling my parents, because the whole incident would be branded as another one of the dumb things I've done.

No, I ended up breaking through a window. For whatever reason I chose the window with the most obstacles behind it: venetian blind, hanging plant, coffee table covered in more plants... Getting the window open was easy by comparison.

And no one was any the wiser. But I started looking at the door handle from the inside and found it wasn't locked at all. I tried locking and unlocking it but no matter which position I put the lock in, it stayed locked from the outside. Good to know.