Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The end of the semester

IMG_6491_1

And now we get to the real reason why I'm giddy. I'm done! The semester's over! I have nothing left for this year but two job offers and a lot of Christmas shopping. Yay!

That and catching up reading people's blogs. I think it's sad that stuff like nablopomo is in November, precisely when I really don't have the time to go check out all the cool people who comment on my blog. I added a bunch of new people to my feed reader too but I just haven't checked them for a while.

Now, let's be honest. This post was originally going to be about how I have developed over this semester an intense love for CBC Radio 2. I used to think they only played classical music but they play a lot of contemporary stuff as well, mostly the sorts of things that I tend to complain never get on the radio.

That reminded me of a reoccurring sketch on This Hour has 22 Minutes where they pretend to be two bizarre CBC Radio 2 announcers and I think it's hilarious because the parody is not all that far from the truth. The characters talk about really obscure, bizarre things in really dry voices and then take phone calls that are usually wrong numbers or have guests who probably just stumbled in accidentally.

I started looking for a clip of them on youtube but couldn't find anything. Instead I found this:



and I am now feeling a ton of nostalgia. I really miss Mary Walsh/Marg Princess Warrior being on the show because she was the best. She'd dress up like that and then harass politicians about important issues on national TV. For the non-Canadians out there, the man above was the prime minister at the time. No high-profile politician was immune.

This post has taken me hours and hours to write, partially because of an incident with my Christmas lights which I will have to talk about later, and partially because of the above knitterly project. From the moment I first saw Eunny Jang's Endpaper Mitts I've really badly wanted a pair. Now that the semester's over I've plunged myself wholeheartedly into making a pair and I'm finding it hard to put down.