Monday, December 03, 2007

I have yet another mystery to solve

IMG_6484_1

I woke up a little earlier than usual this morning to format my paper and write up a bibliography for it. When it comes to papers I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie. I like the pressure of having to finish things just before they're due, and the rush of having to grab my assignments out of the printer quite literally as I'm running out the door.

I think by now everyone knows where this is going and that's exactly where it's going but not quite how you think.

I went to print the paper out approximately four minutes before I had to leave to catch my bus and everything was going fine until page six, which jammed and threw a wrench into everything.

My home printer's never jammed before so I wasn't quite sure how to fix it. The giant printers you find in offices jam all the time, but they have tons of doors and things you can open to try and find the problem, and it's usually pretty obvious where to look. Not so with my printer. I was stuck.

I decided to google it, and lo and behold, I learned that there is a secret trap door in the back of the printer which makes clearing paper jams really easy. Crisis averted.

Almost. I started printing again and it jammed immediately and this is where it gets a little weird.

When I opened up the back door, I found crumpled paper and a pair of fingernail clippers. I don't know how they got in there, but once I'd gotten them out the printer went back to working just fine.

I distinctly remember losing them a couple of weeks ago. It was like they had vanished into thin air.

I'm finding that these lost-and-found mysteries are starting to become a regular occurrence with me. Library books mysteriously get checked out in my name without me remembering, keys show up in kleenex boxes, and now nail clippers inside my printer. What's next?