Thursday, February 07, 2008

Money

IMG_6695_1

Damn you, snow. Piss off. What do you think this is? Canada?

I really feel like this semester is sucking the life out of me, and talking to people doesn't really help. I've had enough of work and I want it to stop. I cut down my hours to one day a week, which means that all of a sudden they know I'm available two days per week, so they can ask me to come in on those days. In effect, nothing has changed.

Telling people about these things only prompts them to tell about their own financial woes, their student loans, their rent, their inability to get sufficient hours or whatever. None of those things are my problem. Could I use more money? Yes, but I won't suffer if I don't work for the next couple of months. I don't have student loans and I'm one of the most conservative budgeters on the planet. I run nothing but surplusses because the moment I'm out of university I need to buy a condo to get my parents off my back. The only thing I can complain about is that the interest rate on my bank account is a lousy 3.75%.

I work and I work and I work and I save and I watch all my friends go off and do fun things like volunteering in Ghana and trips to Cuba and exchanges in Europe. I will be finishing my undergraduate degree with far more money than I had before I started and yet I don't have the time or the funds to do anything other than work. I know that no matter what I do I'm never going to be able to afford to live in this city, something that hosting the Olympics is only going to make worse, just as Expo 86 made it worse.

This stuff doesn't really belong on my blog. My real problem is that I haven't had a good night's sleep in at least six weeks.