Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Dumb kids

I had just started my shift when a boy walked up to me and began to tug on my sleeve. "Excuse me, lifeguard," he said, "I lent that inner tube to those kids for six minutes, and it has been six minutes." He was so deadpan serious that I had a hard time trying not to laugh as I told him to ask for it back.

No sooner had that kid left when another replaced him at my side. This time it was "Lifeguard, that boy over there pushed me into the water just now."

I looked carefully at him. "Then why aren't you wet?"

"Well, he was planning to. Ask anybody."

"Innocent until proven guilty. Why don't you go jump in the lake?"

Krista leaned over and growled something angry in my ear. Apparently the kid is a compulsive liar and he just happens to show up everywhere she works. That has to be irritating.