Saturday, July 02, 2005

In camera


The camera store was the busiest I've ever seen it. The staff was literally jumping to get everyone served. "What can I do for you today?" the salesman asked. "We're looking to purchase some cameras," I said, pointing at my sister. "Twist my arm! What kinds of features are you looking for?" he asked, turning towards the camera case. "Actually, we've already decided what we want." I said.

He dealt with whatever my sister wanted and then turned to me. When I said what he wanted, he paused for a moment. "Oh," he said, "Oh... You've done some research." The black man standing beside me got very excited. The salesman pulled the camera from the box. The black man began to mumble something about how it was a really good model.

Next came a lens. Then a filter, a 1 gig memory card and a camera bag. With each new item the black man became more and more agitated. By the end of the transaction, he was as close to orgasm as one can get when cameras are concerned. It was only slightly disturbing.

"Graduation gift?" the salesman asked.

"I wish," I replied, smiling. Then I left.

I decided a while ago that I needed a new camera, because my old one worked well as a webcam, but was really limited for everything else I wanted to do. About two weeks ago my father said, "go buy yourself a fucking camera," and today that's exactly what I did.