Friday, July 08, 2005

Questions

Paddlers are very nice people. They are incredibly friendly and as soon as they learn that I am a rower, they've started asking me all sorts of questions that they've never been able to or felt like asking before.

I had taken for granted the ammount of knowledge and specialized vocabulary that rowing has given me and I tend to assume that everyone knows everything that I do. When people ask me questions, I give really simple answers that must sound like complete gibberish to the paddlers. That prompts further questions, which become more and more technical until I can't answer them anymore.

"What are these?"

"They're spacers."

"What are they for?"

"They add height to riggers."

"What are riggers?"

"They are the metal things that stick out of the sides of the boat. You attach the oars to them."

"Oars, like paddles?"

"Yes."

"Why do you need spacers on them?"

"Some people need their oars higher than others do."

"Because they're tall?"

"No, it has more to do with weight. Heavier people sit lower in the water, so they need higher oars."

And it continues from there. After feeling constantly like I'm in over my head at work, it's kind of nice to know what I'm talking about. Well, sort of.