Wednesday, July 06, 2005

So this is summer...

There are days when I wake up and find myself at 7:10 in the morning in a car with three women eagerly plotting their husbands' deaths. The little car weaves in and out of traffic at a nearly frightening pace; the spedometer needle perpetually at zero, the odometer at 233023. They drop me off at work, where I coach a sport that I know nothing about.

My kayaking kids are pretty good, overall, though I'd rather be lifeguarding. There's something inherently satisfying about being payed union wages to sit on your ass for hours on end doing absolutely nothing, but I have to wait for evenings to do that.

Still, as I come home from work, sometimes as late as 10:00 pm, I can't help but count down the days until school starts again, if only to look forward to having something to read on the bus on my way home. I have eight weeks left.

I talked to Dick today about rowing a single and he says he has one boat that will fit short lightweights like me. It's going to cost me $200 per year to touch it. I don't care. It will be the only way I will be able to keep my sanity this summer, so it is a small price to pay. I was so excited to be in a boat again that I skipped all 55 km home.