Monday, June 26, 2006

Error does not compute

In response to Kimananda's question, the statue of the nurse in my previous post is on a highrise office building at the corner of Hornby and West Georgia in downtown Vancouver, kiddie corner to the Vancouver Art Gallery.

There are four statues, one on each corner of the building. Seems to me that they used to be on a separate building in the downtown core that was owned/used somehow by nurses. The building changed hands and eventually whoever owned the property decided to demolish it.

Enough people organized and lobbied against the destruction of the four nurses that the city council at the time declared that they were important to the heritage and appearance of the city, and that they must be incorporated into the design of the new building.

That's exactly what the architect did, and now instead of being placed at the level of the top floor, they are considerably lower down, making them a lot easier to see (and easier for me to take pictures of without a telephoto lens).

Anyways, I think that that's what the story is...

That particular nurse is right beside Christ Church Cathedral, which I think I might just go in and photograph tomorrow, if they'll let me. I'm not religious, but I know that last year they renovated the interior to reveal some rather ornate woodwork that had been covered up, so I figure it would be worth a visit.

At the beginning of the summer, my mother was having the hardest time trying to hire some students to lead architectural walking tours because nepotism is frowned upon in our society, especially when it comes to government grant money.

But seriously, if it has anything to do with local art, architecture, history, geography or geology, I might actually know, and I love to talk...

She asked me a couple of other questions too, but I'll have to get to them tomorrow.

I had one of those days today when I woke up at 5:50 and went back to bed only to wake up at 7:37. Nota bene: the train I usually catch leaves at 7:15. I threw on some clothes and ran as fast as I could to catch the 7:45 train and phoned in to work.

Usually when people are going to be late/sick, they phone me. I decided that it would be stupid to call me, so I phoned and left a message for someone else, who just happened to be away today. No one noticed that I wasn't there until it became a problem at 8:20 this morning. Luckily not a big problem, at least not for me.

For the rest of the day, things just didn't compute. I went to the drugstore to buy something, only to realize that I didn't have my debit card, or any kind of plastic, for that matter. My thought process was as follows:

Where is my debit card? It's in my wallet.
Where is my wallet? In my purse.
Where is my purse? Not with me.
Define not with me. At home.

I went to the library instead and found a couple of books that I wanted. Then I realized that I didn't have my library card.

Where is my library card? It's in my wallet...

I went back to my desk, only to find that one of the programs that I needed to use on my computer wasn't working. I phoned a computer tech, who took remote conrol over my computer and screwed around with it for fourty minutes while I watched windows open and close and the mouse fly around my screen.

Then I went home.