Thursday, September 04, 2008

I could sleep forever.

IMG_7026_1During the month of August I averaged about four hours of sleep per night and it's finally caught up with me. I'm fine when I wake up in the morning but every day this week I've hit a wall somewhere between 2 and 3 o'clock.

It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing. It's just that suddenly I'm out. On Tuesday it was under the watchful eye of a prof whom I've only just met. She asked a question just as I woke up again and I groped around in my brain for an answer so as to not look like I was completely asleep. "Change the typeface to one that has shorter descenders, like impact?" I said, and she looked a little surprised, but I'm not familiar with her teaching style so maybe she looks like that often.

Wednesday it was on the Skytrain. I find it fairly easy to sleep on buses, but I never feel nearly as comfortable on Skytrains so the fact that I woke up in Surrey means I must have been pretty tired.

Today it was in the middle of a film called Black Sun in which a painter explains what it was like to lose his sight. It takes the form of an extended monologue, during which you see a lot of blurry, distorted visuals with lots of lens flares. Parts were interesting; parts were tedious; parts irritated me because they were talking about Chinese customs officers and the writing on the screen was Korean. In keeping with the theme of this post, parts of it I completely slept through, though that had nothing to do with the quality of the film.

You'd think that all of this would translate into a good night's sleep but no. On the contrary, laying in a horizontal position in the evening in the dark is the perfect way for me to stay awake.