Sunday, May 28, 2006

Tondere

IMG_3080_1At Cori's we used to just turn on the music and dance and explore and it was always good. We never did that enough. Today I danced and it just didn't feel good. The blackness behind the lights sucked the energy out of me and there was nothing there, no music, no rythm, no shuffle in the left waltz clog, just my right hand all tensed up into a claw.

Everyone has their off days. I won bronze.

The medal goes in the closet with the other ones and a plaque, some school service pins and two three-inch binders full of assorted certificates. The only one that is missing is my dogwood, my high school graduation certificate, but that was because it got shredded in the mail. Not that I cared. None of that really means anything to me. That's why it's in the closet somewhere.

I get bored of things sometimes.

Sometimes I even get bored of breathing but you can't very well just stop doing that. Sure, you can hold your breath but once you pass out and turn blue you'll automatically start breathing again when you hit the floor. Try it. I promise it works. That is, unless you do it while you're knee-deep in water or something. I don't intend to.

Sometimes when I'm bored at work I'll start doing something really menial and mindless so that I can free up my brain for other things. Then I'll ask myself some sort of question, like were the Yanomamo really as fierce and violent as Chagnon portrayed them? He seems to be pretty fixated on how they liked to beat each other on the head with clubs and axes and practice infanticide. Though I wouldn't know the answer because I've never been to Brazil.

I guess the other question would be why I remember stuff I learned in school from three or four years ago when it's not even part of my major. I just do. I'm good at that.

The next logical question would be to ask how these people liked to cut their hair and there is a word for that called tonsure. From Latin.

And what are the principle parts of the verb?
tondeo, tondere, totondi, tonsus
I always get stuck on totondi. Sometimes I say tondivi instead because in my mind that would make sense too. It's perfect tense, as in have or has cut, sheared or clipped, though in English usually the have gets left out. We're pretty sloppy with our verbs. Latin is not, though whether Romans actually cared or not is debateable. It's the pickiest damn language, so I'm sure that they would cut each other some slack if they screwed something up once in a while.

There's only one person in the world that would be able to answer that though. His name is Reg Foster, he wears overalls like they do in mechanics shops and he lives in the Vatican. He used to be Pope John Paul II's Latin secretary and he might still be working there. A friend of mine had lunch with him once.

I'm sure that the word tonsil is related to tondere, but I'm not sure how. Maybe because if your tonsils get too infected they cut them out, or at least they used to. I had tonsilitis six times in one year but they still wouldn't take them out.

Tonsure's what those monks have. Bald on the top and hair all around. Some men get that without even trying. Funny, that.