Thursday, October 20, 2005

Misatribution


"That's the great thing about flashcards," Erin said, "Everyone benefits. I pass my midterm-"

"-And I get to know all sorts of useless information," I added.

"Exactly," she replied, "and you seem to understand this stuff really well so if you ever take social psychology, you will probably pass."

"Yay." Like that's ever going to happen.

She tells me that the ideal place to take someone that you like on a date is the Capilano Suspension Bridge. You see, when you get someone out there on that little bridge, they get scared and excited and then if they see someone that is goregeous, (ie. you) they think they feel that way because of you and not the fact that they are standing on a little bridge over a huge canyon. It's called misatribution of arousal, apparently. She seems to like messing with people's minds. I guess that's what psych majors do.

Sometimes it's weird to talk to her because we did a lot of things together in high school and yet our memories of them are completely incongruent. "You remember Sean, right?" I ask, and she doesn't, even when I describe him in all the detail that I possibly can. She doesn't remember half of the other people we knew either. What she does remember is a lot of weird little events that I could have sworn never happened. I don't know how to explain it.

My cat likes looking at my computer so I thought it would be fun to turn on my webcam and let her watch herself. Bad idea. She attacked the screen. I won't be doing that again.