Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Slime of slug and boolean logic

aka My grandma and the damage done


There are a couple of small scratches across my computer screen that have been staring me in the face since August. I ask them nicely to go away, but they insist on continuing to irritate me with their presence. My question for you is how exactly do I make them go away? I wish that it was as simple as skinning a cat alive and boiling the skin with rosemary and hensteeth until it's nice and tender and rubbing the whole soggy mixture over my computer while chanting binary.

But no, I have these little scratches on my screen that taunt me every time I look at it. The only explanation I can think of for them is the time in August that I took pictures of our house for Grandma and brought my laptop out for her to see them. "What's this?" she would ask, poking my screen harshly with her fingers, still dirty from her dinner and throughout the whole ordeal I would try to gasp a little plea for her to stop abusing my computer. Each time she jabbed the screen, everything around her finger discoloured and I got that disgusting shivery feeling that I get when people scratch their nails down chalkboards. At the time, it was all I could do to not faint on the floor, because there really wasn't much I could do, was there?

One can't very well scream at their own grandmother.

When I got home, I had the unpleasant task of wiping the pork chops and applesauce off my computer. It was then that I first noticed the scratches.

I wish it was as easy as collecting slug slime under the full moon and boolean logic. Instead it's as easy as staring at these damn scratches in the middle of my screen.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, and I gave thanks for the fact that the wireless internet at school always works. My internet was completely down, and in spite of the fact that it was a stat holiday, I had a paper due, to be submitted online. School is the last place I planned to be on Thanksgiving Monday, but at least the assignment got handed in.

As per usual, I can find very little else to be thankful for at this time of year, aside from the cliche: family, friends, health etc. It's just that October's never been a particularly good month for me.

A belated happy Thanksgiving to all you lovely Canadians out there, and happy Thanksgiving in advance to you Americans, in case I forget. Knowing me, I probably will. Nothing personal.