Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Narita International Airport


We arrived at Narita Airport some time just after 7 that evening. A quick trip on a bizarre little commuter train brought us to the edge of the constant rush that is Tokyo to a run-down shopping mall of sorts, though it seemed to be mostly vacant, except for one store that appeared to be a drug store and enticingly enough, had english signs inside. We didn't go to Japan to read English, so we didn't enter.

We set up on a green, overstuffed couch in the lobby of this shopping centre and my parents said that they would be back later and left. We had come well prepared, with a blanket and three rented VHS tapes, not that we could watch them. We had no TV and I'm pretty sure that the Japanese use pal instead.

Eventually we got bored and started exploring. We found an escalator so we took it downstairs. There wasn't much on that floor either. We took a second escalator to the next floor and it took us to a small room, about the size of our livingroom. It was completely empty and had no doors to anywhere. People kept coming down the escalator, walking around aimlessly and then going back up, and we followed suit.

Once at the top, we went back down again, then up. That too got boring very quickly. More importantly, we were hungry. We hid our video tapes underneath the blanket on the couch and headed out to forage.

It was quickly getting dark as we crept through the streets like shadows, stealing the food that people had left out in bowls for feral cats...

And then I woke up.

I went to my computer to find that no one was on msn because it was 7:06 in the morning. Then my computer froze so I screamed at it. I was attacked by a large bowl of fruit salad as I went in search of breakfast and unfortunately had to leave a huge sticky mess all over the floor. Then I was in a hurry to leave for school and forgot my camera, so once again, no new pictures.

An unlikely story, I know.