Saturday, August 26, 2006

10 songs

IMG_4306_1You know the drill. Place your mp3 player on shuffle and record the results, which in this case are very surprisingly not embarassing at all. I posted this post, but apparently didn't publish it.

The Tea Party - Interzone
Not my favourite Tea Party song but I still like it. They're one of those bands that I've liked on and off for a very long time. Though sometimes the whole spirituality and religious overtones thing starts to irritate me, here are days when I really like the harder guitars and eastern influences to their music, and Jeff Martin really does have a hot voice.

Matthew Good Band - Haven't Slept in Years
I really like a lot of Matt's songs that sound like this one, kind of slow and not necessarily sad but, you know. It sounds stupid, I guess, because everyone says this sort of thing, but it's almost that because he grew up maybe a kilometre away from where I did that a lot of his songs, especially ones that are mildly depressing are ones that are always seem to mean a lot to me.

The Doors - Riders on the Storm
Another person with a really lovely voice. I grew up with the Doors and for as early as I can remember they were playing on the radio or the turntable or the cd player. My dad likes them so much.

Moist - Alive
While I'll be the first to say that Mercedes Five and Dime is not my favourite album because it's the closest Moist ever came to outright pop, I like this song, and for some reason or other, it's one of those ones that I seem to find myself singing under my breath some days. Not sure why.

...As the Poets Affirm - Snow White Wings in the Bottomless Blue
I don't know much about this band at all. Seems to me I heard about them from people who liked Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Tortoise and such. What I do know is that this song is kind of on the lighter side for post rock, nice and long and instrumental-like.

Queen - No-One But You (Only the Good Die Young)
Written for Freddie Mercury after he died. I'd be pretty proud if someone wrote a tribute song this nice for me.

Dayglo Abortions - This is How a Punk Song Goes
Okay, I'm not entirely sure why I have so many Dayglo Abortions songs on my computer. Mandatory Cancon, maybe?

Sigur Ros - Hun Jord
Probably my most favouritest Sigur Ros songs ever. I love the way that if you turn it up loud, it fills every space in the room. There should be more songs that do that.

Great Big Sea - Jolly Roving Tar
Great Big Sea neither are nor will be my favourite band, and I'm not all that fond of their studio albums at all, because they simply don't capture the energy they have on stage. That being said, the band seems to be in a state of constant tour and they're here at least twice a year, and I never miss a show. They're just so fun.