Friday, August 25, 2006

Saved by the bell

The night before last I had a dream that the receptionist from one of the places I used to work really wanted me to do the Grouse Grind with her, which I thought was weird at the time because she is pretty overweight and not the least bit health conscious.

I was busy that day and I wouldn't be caught dead with a person with a fanny pack so I tried my best to get out of it, but she kept following me around.

Finally I convinced her that it wasn't a good idea because it was starting to get pretty close to dark and it was snowing to boot. She quickly disappeared.

I went down to a greengrocer with a Filipino girl whose voice was really familiar but whose face I couldn't place. Something by Ray Charles was playing on the radio and she asked about it. "It's Ray Charles," I said, to which she replied that she thought Shakira should do a cover of the song. Had I heard of Shakira?

Of course. She can't sing but she's certainly got the dancing thing going for her.

We walked inside the greengrocer to look at all the veggies and there seemed to be an unusually high amount of mushrooms there, and some strange varieties that even I haven't tried before.

I wandered over to a section with some fungus that looked a lot like pieces of sponge spraypainted gold. Sometimes when grocery stores try and sell you weird exotic stuff that you've never heard of, they have a little writeup about them with the medicinal properties, cooking suggestions, history, etc. to convince you to buy them. This was no different.

I became fixated on a little sheet of paper that told me that these mushrooms would become toxic if they came into contact with melons or squash. I was about to put a few into my basket with a canteloupe when my alarm cut in and woke me up.

Last night I had one where everyone I knew had sappy, cheezy I love you emoticons on msn.