Thursday, August 03, 2006

Fireworks

IMG_3614_1


I went to see the Czech Republic at the fireworks last night, and I took a little over a hundred photos. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that my camera had not been on autofocus so every single one is blurry. Have I mentioned that I haven't been having the best of weeks?

Regardless, the show was reasonably good. I liked their choice of big band jazz music and it went with the display quite well. The end of it though, was absolutely pathetic. Anticlimactic to say the least. It just sort of ended abruptly, without one of those massive bombs that fills the sky while you wait for it to blow your eardrums out milliseconds later, or a sudden yet impressive unloading of all the fireworks you can fire in the space of thirty seconds.

But then again, I'm a little biased, being a loyal supporter of the Chinese team, regardless of if I see their performance or not. They're always the best. Trust me. I've been going to see the fireworks since I was six days old.

Only back then, in the 80s they used to shoot lazers into the smoke too, which was pretty exciting. My mother and I had a conversation about just that the other day. I don't think we were really listening to each other but we were on the same wavelength, which pretty much describes the both of us on the best of days:

Her: They used to have lazer shows on during the fireworks.
Me: Yeah, they were pretty cool. Because everyone in the world likes two things: lazers and cats. They should have had cats in the show.
Her: Everybody loves cats and lazers.
Me: And cats.
Her: Those shows should have had cats in them.
Me: Maybe the cats were shooting the lazers. Lazers and cats.
Her: Cats and lazers. Because everyone in the world likes two things: lazers and cats.