Tuesday, September 05, 2006

First day of school

IMG_4345_1My stats prof sounds like a nice enough guy, but as far as the most boring people I've ever met, he's duelling for third, or so. I have to give him credit, though. At least he tries.

He made a sad attempt at a joke about how we should keep our phones on vibrate, and not bring vibrators to school because if you talk into them, no one will answer. The people in the room sat silent, wondering whether or not to laugh.

He then proceeded to explain what made a good calculator. "It needs these buttons," he said, as everyone picked up their pens to copy it down. He began to write the numbers 0-9 and +-x on the overhead projector as people began to giggle. The long and short? The million dollar calculator that I had to buy for a lousy three months of math 11 is too cool for school. Literally.

His lecture slides are all acompanied by sound effects when they change. Unless your prof has actual skill making presentations, this is at best really corny. When he flipped to a slide with a picture of a scientist, some music began to play which sounded much like the cheezy cliche aliens-are-landing kind of music. And it played, and played and played. It went on and on for what felt like at least a minute, far longer than any lecture note sound effect should.

At some point my suppressed laughter came out as a snort, and unfortunately for the back of the head in front of me, I had a bit of a runny nose at the time.

Nonchalant, I put my hand up to my face and leaned over to the person next to me. "Non-stop excitement, eh?" I think I said. Yeah, I'm cool.