Friday, September 22, 2006

This post is about eating newborn babies

IMG_4245_1

So... My brand new credit card is bright green and see-through. It's the see-through part that both irritates and fascinates me. I'd post a picture of it here but that would just be dumb.

It was my last day of work, so I think I could probably say something about it, but it will have to wait. Just too tired.

My parents are in Whistler all weekend. My mom apparently walked right into a black bear, just outside a Blenz. I'm babysitting my sister and she always makes me feel really white. We both came out of the same womb, y'know, but she was purple.

Where's a purple people eater when you need it?

I was six pounds, on the button. I was sitting in front of some women on the bus the other day and they were talking about measurement. Mostly clothing measurement and how it's different between here and Europe and the rest of the world. The one lady fits bras for a living and was complaining about how someone came in looking for a 44, whatever the hell that means. Doesn't sound like something I would wear.

But then they got into talking about how we sort of have a metric system but we sort of don't because we're Canadian and we just have to be unique. So forest fires are in hectares but real estate is in acres and feet. You measure buildings and such in metres and centimetres, and water and gas in litres but I'm 5'2" and 126lbs. Weather's in celsius, cooking's in farenheight. But supposedly we're all metricallike.

Then they talked about Europeans describing themselves in kilos and centimetres, which I still haven't wrapped my head around (even though I pretend) and talk turned to babies. Babies, they decided, didn't weigh nearly enough to be weighed in kilos so that's why they're weighed in pounds. "Like, newborns are less than a kilo so it's stupid to weigh them that way," one said. (Though at 2.2lbs that sounds like one hell of a sickly baby to me.)

But I thought of a better reason. I was 6 lbs. That would be 2722 grams. You know what else comes in grams?

Beef.

Chicken.

Pork.

Babies.

mmmm