Sunday, September 03, 2006

Yesterday

September 2, 2006 010_1


Instead of sending me pictures from the show, my sister sent me a picture of me and this horse. Beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure that at some point she'll post some pictures on her blog, which is fine.

They look like concert pictures: some guys on stage with instruments and fancy lights, fog machines and love projected in their general direction. Only the some guys were Great Big Sea. Great Big Sea plays good concerts, better than their albums. There's always lots of jumping up and down, clapping and singing along, and the discussion of nude badminton as a recreational activity with some rather adorable Newfie accents. Accordions. The sexies bodhran player in the world. You know. That stuff.

They were good. It was fun, but I can't help thinking that they seemed a little tired last night. They had a lot of energy, but not quite the amount that they usually have. Slightly shorter set, too. I hope it was just a one-off thing and not a permanent change.

To my surprise and dismay, the opening act was the exact same guy as last time they played Malkin Bowl, only he looked less homeless. The music was the same though, and I didn't like it much the first time. I can only take so much acoustic country rap and the first time was more than enough.

Apparently my camera is a "professional" camera. Don't I feel special? That meant a big fight at the gate to get in. In all the times I've been to the Malkin Bowl, that is the first time that they have been so anal about confiscating crap from people. The nice thing about the Malkin Bowl is that you've always been able to take your camera and food and umbrellas with you, but apparently no longer. It would have been nice if there had been a head's up on the website when everyone bought their tickets.

This was the first time I'd ever had problems of that nature at that particular venue, though, to be fair, the last time I saw a show there my bag contained my wallet, a couple tampons and a sea urchin. Don't ask.

To say dinner was a disappointment would be an understatement. The restaurant at the Stanley Park Pavilion is obviously under new management and I already complained about it on Metro Vancouver. Did I tell you that I wrote for Metro Vancouver? I'm a bigger geek than you thought.

That was yesterday. Today I didn't do much worth mentioning. Some days are like that.

Fuck, that was a lukewarm post. I enjoyed myself yesterday, honestly.

Check out Wildlife. It's pretty cool.