Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Time for more reading...

IMG_4379_1So, I was just sitting in the common room, minding my own business when someone walked in and asked "okay, which one of you is Erin?" at which point I both raised my hand and attempted to hide behind my computer. Evidently my fame precedes me.

The sad thing is that it's purely online fame. In person I'm a very forgetable person. We've probably met before, but you don't remember. Remember?

Callan has come to the realization that for the past six or eight years or so I've put far less effort into school than him and managed to end up with substantially better results. He's decided that maybe he would do better if he copies my notes in class, so now I sit with him constantly looking over my shoulder. I don't mind, that is, until he begins to whisper in my ear...

"What does proliferation mean?"
which I defined as the spread and distribution of things both through direct and indirect means
"So why didn't you just say that?"
because "proliferation" is a better word and in my notes, at least, I like to be parsimonious
"Parsimonious? What the fuck? What does assiduous mean?"
fuck off and write your own notes
in your own words

You can only get so far by hanging off of others' coattails. Especially when you're preventing me from listening to the prof. Luckily he doesn't do it for very long before he leans back and resigns himself to not understanding anything. "Fucking genius," he'll whisper in my ear, and during the break, he'll innocently forget to share any of his curly fries with me.

Bastard. I don't eat fries, but it's a matter of principle.