Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Erin dreams in oils


I had a dream last night that had as a backdrop paintings of the Canadian wilderness a la the Group of Seven. I'm trying very hard to find one specific painting that I saw when I looked out the window as I was wearing a poncho that I had pulled off a rack. Seems to me the tag on the garment stated that it was worth exactly $408.

Admittedly, a google image search is not always the best way to search for fine art, but depending ont the artist, you can usually find the major works. It will bug me until I find it.


There was one spindly little tree - a lodgepole pine, I think. Tall, skinny and lacking branches, except for a scrubby little bit at the top. It was off to the left and nearly a silhouette. I say nearly, because there were traces of dull green and dark umber on it, though it's hard to say.

In painting there's a difference between pigment black, black created out of things that are undeniably black, and the kind of black that you get when mixing red, yellow and blue. The kind you get from mixing is much warmer, and that's about as accurately as I can describe the colour of the tree.

Juxtapose that with the sky - gold, limitless. The clouds billowy and white, shaded with a warm umber, just to remind you that the sun is setting soon.


I can't find it, so maybe I just made it up in my dream. I do that with epic poetry sometimes.

Anyways, in my dream, eventually my sister convinced me to exchange the outrageously expensive poncho for one my mom made out of an Ikea blanket and sewed all my brownie and guide badges on.