Thursday, January 04, 2007

Twenny-seks kroner

IMG_4816_1So, I was sitting at a bus stop beside a smallish parking lot in Oslo, waiting for someone, but the dumbass wouldn't show. A bus drove up with a flashing number 16 on it, but though there were many route numbers on the sign, 16 was not one of them, so I didn't get on. Good thing too, because after my stop, the bus turned into the parking lot and vapourized just as it was about to drive through the shop that was behind me.

A couple more 16's drove by, each turning a different direction after passing my stop (it was a 5-way intersection) which kind of confirmed to me at the time that it was a good idea not to get on one of those because I had absolutely no idea where the hell they went.

Finally a different bus arrived and it was getting quite dark, so I got on. My mom was on there. I don't think I talked to her much, but I don't usually talk to people much on the bus. My trip cost me 26 kroner. I have no idea whether or not that is anywhere near what people would actually pay for bus fare but this was a dream so I'm allowed to pay whatever I want.

I ended up at a swimming pool that had lots of screaming kids in it and a mosaic of small, red bricks set into the pool deck. I soon found that each brick corresponded to a letter of the alphabet, and that when I pressed them, the letter came out, sort of on a screen. An ephemeral screen that was seethrough, floating in the sky that only I could see.

I tried to spell out some words, but they were tricky little bastards, those bricks. Some of the letters were repeated and they were in random orders, not to mention, there were no marks made on the bricks that gave any indication whatsoever as to which letter was associated with each brick.

So it was a matter of systematic trial and error, until I could find some sort of pattern, which I didn't but I like puzzles so I was absorbed by it for quite some time until I woke up.