Thursday, January 25, 2007

I read a lot

I'm beginning to I'm beginning to think that maybe this online education thing is making me into a very boring person. All I do is read. And read. And read.

Then I sit down here and do I have something interesting to post? No.

Today I read three separate articles with different opinions on Simon & Schuster's takeover of Distican and sometimes when I read these things I think that really what we need to do is shut down the border and tell America to stop treating us like we're their colony, but that won't happen, so abandon hope.

Then I read a bit from Schumacher's Small is Beautiful, about how a) the best approach to foreign development is to stop telling people that they need help all the time and only offer assistance when they ask for it and b) we should stop looking at fancy schmancy technologies all the time to fix other peoples' problems for them, because all that does is make them more dependent on us for spare parts and oil and such. Makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Then I read the last bit of a novel for sociology about a Jewish cyborg. I'm not entirely sure how a machine can practice any sort of religious faith, but meh.

Oh, and then there was an article about technology and control.

Yep. That was my day.