Thursday, January 11, 2007

Last night's dinner

IMG_4959_1Well, Just for Jonathan, and seeing as he seems to be doing more cooking than art these days:

Among the other things I got for Christmas was a cookbook written by local restaurant owner Vikram Vij. Usually I'm not all that big on following recipes or measuring ingredients, so I can only say that dinner yesterday (and coincidentally today) was inspired by a recipe from that book and goes more or less as follows:

You need:
8+ green onions (the more, the better)
1 cup of plain yogurt (I used sour cream because I only have strawberry yogurt)
1 tbsp Mexican chili powder (or in my case, chipotle)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
salt (I don't really have any salt in my kitchen so I just skipped it)
1 eggplant
2 cups tomatoes
vegetable oil

It's pretty easy. Mix the spices in a bowl with the yogurt, add the chopped up veggies and stir them until they're all coated. Heat oil in the pan at medium-high and saute the veggies for threeish minutes. The sauce changes colour a little. Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve.

The recipe said to discard the hollow green parts of the green onions but I like them, so I threw them on top when the whole thing was finished cooking. It was good, perhaps a little spicier than I would have made it if I had completely made it up, but that's what leftover yogurt is for, and/or just using less spices. I think it would probably be good if it had been cooked with coconut milk instead of yogurt/sour cream too.

I already posted a picture of this, but you can refresh your memory here.