Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Holiday

So... The Holiday.

Maybe it was just Brown's incessant belching and farting, but for some reason or other I just couldn't get into it. Sure, I'll say I don't really like chick flicks, but the truth is that a good one, a really good one will make me bawl my eyes out.

I just didn't empathize with the characters at all, which is weird because there was nothing wrong with the acting. I'd say that everyone's performances were entirely believable, including Jack Black's, which was very, very shocking to me. Very shocking. You mean, he can act? Well, apparently he can.

It may have had something to do with the fact that during the film I had this overwhelming sense of disorientation brought on by the fact that some people had showed up at my door about an hour and a half earlier and whisked me away to the movies in my pyjamas.

We had ended up after that at a family restaurant that looked more like a gift shop than a restaurant because all the furniture and miscellaneous decor was for sale, where something or other led me to relate the following story:

So, we were watching this documentary in class that was put out a couple years ago by Project Censored about important news that doesn't make it into the mainstream media and one of them was about how women's cosmetics are full of all sorts of carcinogenic shit that will kill you. And in the opening line, they followed this woman around the bathroom and this very authoritative and grim sounding man said something like "on any given day, a woman will use soap, shampoo, conditioner, cleanser, toner, moisturizers, apply makeup, perfume, powder herself and douche." And then Callan, who was sitting beside me, leaned over and poked me in the ribs to ask me quite innocently, "so, Erin, how often do you douche?" to which I replied "Callan, you are a douche."
Which surprisingly enough made people laugh. A lot.

We tipped. Well. No one should have to put up with us.

But this is a review of the movie. Which would have been kind of a sweet movie, except that it was perhaps half an hour too long. It was nice up until the point where they seemed to be prolonging it unnecessarily at the end, just so that we could see yet another moral dilemma, another crisis of conscience, another change of mind, another hardening of resolve.

Not to mention, the story had no closure in the end, even though it pretended to. When we had finally struggled through the excessive corniness of the last twenty minutes, it ended without one of the major problems being solved. Grargh!