Monday, September 10, 2007

The terra cotta army

IMG_6298_1

These things were at Ikea for the longest time. No one liked them so finally when they were marked down to about 20 cents apiece Mom took pity on them and bought 10 or 12 and gave them names that sound vaguely like some sort of Jewish-Scandinavian hybrid. Now they pop in and out of the foliage where you least expect them.

I thought they were really ugly at first but now they're really starting to grow on me. I wish she had bought a hundred so we could have assembled a huge terra cotta army of spikes? gnomes? vaguely phallic shaped objects? I'm still not entirely sure what they are. I guess they're gnomes.

IMG_6296_1

Lou has a short tail. We bought her for a handful of nickels because Dad's a sucker and he likes cats.

IMG_6292_1

I worry about Frick. She's not well.

IMG_6290_1

After class on Thursday I stood under the streetlight at the busstop and watched the colours in the leaves in the tree overhead - yellowgreen, glowing orange on a deep blue canvas, fading to grey. It provided a bit of welcome distraction from the fact that I really, really don't like spending time down there after 9 at night. It's not the homeless people that bother me. It's the kid wannabes that irritate me. That and waiting an hour and twenty minutes for a bus that's supposed to come every 15 minutes.

But the leaves, I'm going to paint them.

And then maybe I'll post a picture that doesn't involve my sister, the garden or cats.