Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thanksgiving

IMG_6341_1I'm at my parents' house right now because it's Thanksgiving weekend.

They were having trouble with their toilet a while ago. In spite of the fact that it gets cleaned regularly, it was getting some sort of mold or mildew inside it really often. They figured that maybe part of the inside of it wasn't glazed so now they use that toilet sanitizer stuff that makes the water blue. And while I can appreciate that it seems to be doing the job, it makes the water blue.

And when you pee in the toilet now, it turns from blue to green. It's just not right.

I have a love hate relationship with Thanksgiving dinner. I don't like turkey. It doesn't taste very good. I don't like mashed potatoes either, but thankfully because dad's diabetic and mashed potatoes are secretly sugar, we don't have them anymore.

Putting cranberries in most things is a surefire way to discourage me from eating them.

But then there's the stuffing. Not the bread and sage stuff that everyone eats. It's rice, sausage meat, tomatoes, onion, celery, spices and crumbled melba toast cooked on the stove and then baked in with the turkey. And every year I will complain that there's not enough of it to go around, and that we should just ditch the bird and make eight times the stuffing instead, but apparently that's not allowed.

And the candied yams, which are delicious. The recipe's secret though. If I post it my mom will surely slit my throat. All I can say is that it most definitely does not involve marshmallows because honestly that's gross. Give your heads a shake, people.

Brussels sprouts. I love brussels sprouts. Sometimes I go to the greengrocer and buy a bag of them so I can pick them apart with my fingers and eat each leaf individually.