Tuesday, August 30, 2005

1.225



It's a pity I don't have the time or money to go into currency trading. Sometimes I think I would be better off as a stock broker, trading commodities, buying and selling peoples' futures without much regard as to the possible consequenses of my actions. It's all about profits for shareholders, and the rest will sort itself out eventually. No, instead I'm taking arts. What can I say? I'm a bleeding heart.

The money is a flurry of green and black as she counts it out. I have no idea what she is saying; all the bills look the same to me.

I have often wondered why the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world right now insists on making all denominations of its currency look as identical as possible. Someone once told me that I should pay more attention to the different presidents. Like I'm going to notice that there's a difference between Washington and Hamilton when I'm trying to pay for something, until someone hands me back more bills than I was expecting to recieve. I'm always pleasantly surprised when that happens. Most of the time they could have just kept the difference and I wouldn't have noticed.

And now come the questions:

"Can I interest you in the somethingorother visa card?"

"Not today, thank you." The interest rate is criminal.

"Are you aware that you can get a better return with a term deposit, instead of keeping a large balance in your savings account?"

"Are you aware that I'm cleaning out my account next week to pay for tuition and I can't get a term deposit for terms of less than a month?"

"You could pay for school with a visa."

"Why? I already pay online through my bank account."

"Yes, but you need a credit card."

"No. Schools don't take credit cards. I set it up like an online bill payment, just like I would pay for gas or hydro."

"But my kids always use my visa to pay for school."

"I suggest you check your bill when it comes in."

The beauty of American money is that regardless of how much you actually have, you always look like you have a lot. I reflect on this as I shove the wad of bills into my wallet and walk out. 1.225. I wonder what the exchange rate will be tomorrow. I can't get my hands to stop shaking all the way home.

At work today we were given some inventory work that was supposed to take 30 hours. After 7 we were finished. We're too damn efficient. Partially out of compassion and partly to kill time we rescued an injured duck and took it to a vet. It took an hour that we both will get paid for. I don't know what we'll do tomorrow to justify our paycheques.

My head is full of random thoughts.