Saturday, August 06, 2005

Psychological bandaids



It was my birthday yesterday. I can now legally drink and have my own credit card. Yay. I think more than anything it means that I should suck it up and go for my driving exam so that when people ID me I don't have to hand them my bright red loser license. Though other than that, there really is no point, because I don't have a car and the fact that I have a really cheap government-subsidized bus pass means I don't really need to drive anyway.

Now that I think of it, I would rather have a motorcycle, one of those little quiet Japanese ones, but I don't have the correct license to drive one and as long as I have my upass, I don't think I'll be spending anything on a vehicle.

Unfortunately I was too tied up with work yesterday, today and tomorrow to celebrate by getting completely hammered this weekend. There's always next week. And the week after. I'm sure I will have much more to say on this topic sometime in the near future.

A kid walked up to me at work today, holding his leg and appearing to be in a lot of distress. "My leg is all scratched up and it really hurts," he said, motioning toward a spot near his left knee, "I really need a bandaid."

His leg looked perfectly fine to me, but I grabbed the first aid kit anyways. As I rifled through it, he continued to speak: "It doesn't look really bad, but it is. It's really small but it could bleed a lot. I could bleed out."

Yeah kid, whatever.

By the time I had found a bandaid, I had to ask him a second time where he hurt. I could still see no sign of injury. The kid pointed to a place, I bandaged him up and he left. I'm pretty sure that he had pointed to a completely different part of his leg, but it didn't matter. He was cured.

He went swimming immediately after and his bandaid washed off in a few minutes. He didn't come back for another one.