Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I don't really want to say I had a bad day but I kind of did...



My father is still pissed off with me for no particular reason, and consequently he refused to give me a ride (Ellen doesn’t drive on Tuesdays). I woke up at 5:30 yesterday, so I could run to the bus. For some reason or other, I can’t seem to sleep on morning busses while I have the chance. Instead I spent my time quietly willing away the sore throat that I am quickly developing.

I had a fairly boring and uneventful day at work, at least until I went to my other job in the afternoon. I was the only passenger on the bus and the driver started talking to me about how he hated summer road construction. Usually I listen enough to comment politely but yesterday I was just not in the mood. I stared out the window and he stared sullenly at the road for the whole trip.

Near the beginning of my shift, my supervisor let slip that they had put one of the other lifeguards through a drill and he had lost his job as a result. I was paranoid all night.

Coming home, we discovered that the sewer pipe in the basement had plugged and the washing machine had flooded the basement. Zosie, who had been doing her laundry at the time thought it was her fault and got in the way while trying to help clean up. She was so upset that she made us dinner. Tortelini with scallops and shrimp. It smelled delicious, but I wasn’t hungry.

Ellen arrived at my house late last night to tell me that she had been laid off. I felt so bad for her, especially because her car died three days ago too. Now I no longer have a ride to work. Lovely.