Friday, August 12, 2005

Thanks for the tip



We hosted a birthday party at work yesterday, with way too many kids and not enough preparation or equipment. Regardless, it went really well and the kids appeared to have a lot of fun. We organized a scavenger hunt on the water, and they had to kayak around looking for the clues. That took a lot more time than I had expected and the two hours went surprisingly fast.

It wasn't until after everyone had left that we realized that the birthday girl had left her bathing suit behind. Her mother returned for it today and handed us each some thank-you cards. After she left we discovered that she had tipped us for our efforts the previous day. Ten dollars each. It wasn't a huge ammount, but a nice gesture, considering the fact that it wasn't at all expected.

In spite of the fact that I have to work tomorrow, I am so glad that it is Friday.

It looks like I will be moving closer to school and my friends between now and September. Now begins the careful negotiations to have the rest of my family not move in with me. It's not that I don't like them, but I'm sure that having four people living in a one bedroom apartment is not a good idea, even if millions of people all around the world do it all the time.

Maybe it's because I live in Canada or maybe it's because I'm just stuck up. Maybe it's because I can live on rice and peas and old clothing that is too big for me and eat out of old mason jars instead of dishes, but I need some space.