Sunday, August 28, 2005

Tired



I had nothing to do at work, so I just sat there for three hours, doing nothing. The alarm system kept beeping, and I couldn't figure out why. It has never done that before. It was driving me insane, especially since I was sitting alone, in a room, with nothing to do but listen to the thing beep once every thirty to fifty seconds.

We began to have a conversation:

"Beep.... Beep...."

"Jesus Christ, it's not going to beep again is it?"

"Beep.... Beep.... Beep...."

(a period of silence that lasts about 5 minutes)

"Thank God."

"Beep."

"If I ignore it, it will go away. It will go away, right?"

"Beep."

"Let me guess, you're going to beep again."

"Beep."

"Smartass."

"Beep."

"Okay, I'm getting tired of this."

"Beep."

"It's not funny anymore."

"Beep."

"What is wrong with you?"

"Beep."

"Can't you just shut up?"

"Beep."

"Shut up you bastard!"

(silence)

"Ha!"

"Beep..."

The sad thing is that I actually got paid to sit there and scream at the alarm system. What is wrong with the world? The phone rang twice and I didn't answer it in spite of the fact that I wasn't really doing anything. I felt kind of bad about that, until I learned that it was my mother checking up on me. At least it was her and not something really important.

I feel really irresponsible today.

I was ready to crash at 4:30 in the afternoon, even though I slept in until 8:00, later than I usually do on Sundays. I'm kind of glad that summer's almost over.